jeudi 6 mars 2014

Alzheimer's disease - is in the eye



By Gini Cunningham



I am not a doctor , I 'm not in the medical field , so that the following is not based on medical knowledge , but experience firsthand reaction rather human and a lot of observation . In the early stages of Alzheimer's disease my mother disguised memory loss with many intelligent techniques. Every morning when the paper came, she wrapped the day and date , and then placed on the dining table . In this way, when I walked by it I could watch and a reminder to herself , " Oh , yeah . Today is Tuesday . " It helped track days, weeks , months and contributed to its independence maintained.

Then he added a calendar. She wrote to my sister or write dates and important events in large letters. Then, when the day came and she put a big X through it. You may think that the newspaper or timing would be just as a reminder , but it actually requires both of them as a double check . If there is no " Bookmarks" as important as Saturday - Meals on Wheels beginning of the week , it is difficult to remember to scratch one day. A person with Alzheimer's disease could cross Tuesday after breakfast, after lunch on Wednesday , Thursday and sunset , and then observe how the time flies.

Mom turned on the TV as soon as she got up in the morning and left it on all day. As your audience , the volume rose higher , which leads visitors a little bit nuts until it is silenced. When I asked why the TV all day , she said. "It's like having company there is always someone to talk to me . "

And if my mother hid some cognitive loss to cover their shame into oblivion and help them survive on their own. Your system shows the day and date , Meals on Wheels food arrived and for residues that span the weekend , and the constant chatter kept him company.

Were pulse and subsequent reactions reported sharply. We'll be on the phone when we she screamed " Oh, that damn cat !" He heard the click of the receiver on the ground and the rustle and bustle of my mother running around your living room. I would wait and wait. Sometimes going back to the call , usually just to hang the receiver , wondering aloud why the heck the phone has been suspended. Other times, I would have to spend time , knowing that it could take hours before returning to your phone.

As I lived 250 miles away, I managed to visit once a month or more. In the early and middle stages of Alzheimer's disease has been agreed that it was and greeted me profusely. Somehow , she always had food and snacks prepared - especially small cups of tea or gelatin pudding. Because my father had died several years ago , I was used to the idea that she cooked for one and not having a fridge full of goodies. Everything seemed normal . Since mom loved eating out , so do not worry about the extra food in the house. Then Sunday before returning home we went shopping for me to take home food and for her to fill certain provisions .

Due to these factors, which rolled on the early stages and environment well enough , ignoring the signs and symptoms and humming the melody, "This is my mother - She's fine ," I do not really consider the loss of memory and cognition as mom most of her be alone and nothing less active . later in the intermediate stage, this perception changed when reality stepped in. during these visits mom became more withdrawn. He spoke less , especially when my sisters , nephews and nieces were present. We were so busy with each other, it was easy not to go back on your lack of communication. They represented their silence, at least in part, its hard to be ear. Lack drift and if it had nothing to add . Our chatter and laughter seemed to satisfy him .

Then I started to pay more attention to the language of face and body . His appearance became darker and his eyes began to lose its luster . At first I thought it was a cold or flu. Maybe she did not feel well . So I decided that it was winter and cold with her ​​sadness. His eyes would certainly shine again in spring and summer, when we could be out for picnics and walks. Sometimes I thought it was just my perception. Mom had hazel eyes , not bright blue eyes of my father, so that the spark has always been less noticeable.

But as the days and weeks faded and spring came, they do not show the brightness. In fact , his eyes became even more tenuous. Had periods of empty when I knew I was not "present." Sometimes she answer my calls , "Mom, look at me. " His eyes rolled toward me with a glimmer of recognition before faded into the distance . But this ability to focus and reach has become more difficult and less frequent. The fog of dementia had invaded and excitement had disappeared.

In the last stage , the shine is gone and never returned , except when, a few months before her death, she recognized me , applauded and laughed, "You are here " Oh , how I cling to five seconds before her vivacity disappeared forever. The rest of the time I felt that I could look at me and try to escape his muddled mind, I also realized that there were not aware of them or near me .

And I say . " It's in the eyes" Will see former colleagues in a restaurant or on the street and just sort of meet and greet , it is a meeting to confusion. They can pretend to be aware of me and my thoughts, but the eyes are practically empty and far. The conversation is more response to common greetings instead of true understanding . When I encounter this , it's horrible . I can only hope that my friend is having a bad day , not feeling well , or you are recovering from an attack of influenza. The alternative , neurological problems leading to dementia and / or Alzheimer's disease is horrible.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire